The desirable cages to contain lovebirds are subject to some requirements, especially about measurements, it recommended that the width, length, and height of the cell be not less than 60 cm, and it is preferable to have a cage with a length greater than 60 cm rather than focusing on height. For the bird to spread its wings in the cage, also, it is advisable to take into account the choice of that cage, whose bars are about 1.3-1.6 cm apart, and that its rods are oriented to become horizontal; To help birds climb them, which can note, taking into account the avoidance of round cages; The possibility of causing damage to the bird’s tail feathers.
The breeder of lovebirds can use the pellets as a suitable diet, and at the same time, some other foods must include part of the proper diet for these birds, including broccoli and lettuce.
The following points deal with some basic steps that help to care for lovebirds, as follows:
- Clean or change food and drink containers in the cage daily.
- Cover the bottom of the cage with the help of a newspaper, and change it daily to prevent the spread of diseases.
- Use warm, soapy water to clean the cage every week, or use a cage sanitizer instead.
- Ensure that bird toys are thoroughly cleaned and dried whenever the need arises.
Various games use as a way to keep lovebirds active and cheerful, as they are social birds, and the following must take into account:
- Choose toys without lead or zinc.
- Avoid games with free strings; To prevent birds from getting stuck toes.
- Avoid choosing toys with biting or chewable parts.
- Choose toys made of wood, acrylic, or leather, as well as a wide range of ladder and bell toys or kitchen utensils; As cardboard cylinders of empty rolls, or dry noodles, etc.